If you want to keep pigs but don’t know where to begin, this course is for you Or even if you are not quite there yet and just want to hang out with these intelligent curious animals, do join us on the farm for this course
We are very excited to partner with Sally Budd known fondly locally as the Pig Lady. What started off as getting pigs for a Big Birthday Hog roast has ended up as a small business venture passionate about supplying easy to handle pigs to small holders and farmers that produce really delicious meat. Sally has a pedigree herd of Gloucester Old Spot and Mangalitza Pigs
In this hands-on course we will cover:
- Cover pig keeping admin: including getting your land registered as a smallholding and getting a herd number. Correctly identify your pigs (tagging, tattooing, notching). Complete a movement licence for moving pigs on or off your holding. Keeping records of movements and veterinary treatments.
- Learn about different breeds of pigs and their benefits and unique characteristics so you can choose what breed you will get
- Find out how much land you’ll need to keep pigs and the type of shelter you will need to provide.
- Understand the essential welfare needs of pigs
- Learn how to care for your pigs this includes Feeding (correctly and legally), Feet trimming, Handling Safely and Kindly, and Fencing
- Learn how to spot common problems and how to treat them. Prevent, identify and treat common health problems.
- Raising pigs from weaners for meat or for breeding.
- We will touch on husbandry. If you plan on breeding you can sign up on our follow up Husbandry course
- This course is practical and will have hands-on time with our pigs. At the end of the day we hope you’ll leave with the confidence and enthusiasm to keep your own pigs
- There is no obligation to handle our animals but you will have plenty of opportunity should you wish to.
- If you or your partner are pregnant please read the advice from the NHS
Practical details: Pigs for Beginners will run from 10am until 4pm and includes a delicious farm lunch as well as hot and cold drinks. Check Weather and prepare accordingly. Warm outdoor clothing, waterproofs and wellies is recommended. Courses go ahead no matter the weather. Parts of the course will be indoors and parts outdoors. You may want to bring a change of clothing