Hands-on Introduction to Goat Keeping
If you want to keep goats but don’t know where to begin, this course is for you Or if you are not quite there yet and just want to spend a day on the farm experiencing these inquisitive friendly animals then do join us at the farm for this course
We are excited to partner with Maggi Franklin, no one can be better qualified to take you through a goat workshop. Her experience and passion is like no other. Author of Goats for Beginners which has been my bible in goat keeping and Owner of the Award-winning Tyegronon Anglo Nubian Herd
In this hands-on course we will:
- Cover goat keeping admin: including getting your CPH number, completing movement licenses and ear tagging
- Learn about different breeds of goats and their unique characteristics so you can choose what goat you will get
- Find out how much land you’ll need to keep goats and the type of shelter you will need to provide.
- Understand the essential welfare needs of a goat.
- Learn how to care for your goats this includes feeding, Feet trimming, handling, and fencing of your goats
- Learn how to spot common problems and how to treat them.
- We will also cover Dairy Goats: Care, Milking
- We will touch on husbandry. If you plan on breeding you can sign up on our follow up Husbandry course
- This course is practical and will have hands-on time with our goats. At the end of the day we hope you’ll leave with the confidence and enthusiasm to keep your own goats.
- There is no obligation to handle our animals but you will have plenty of opportunity should you wish to.
- If you or your partner are pregnant please read the advice from the NHS
Practical details: Goats for Beginners will run from 10am until 4pm and includes a delicious farm lunch. And hot & cold drinks. Check Weather and prepare accordingly. Warm outdoor clothing, waterproofs and wellies is recommended. Courses go ahead no matter the weather. Parts of the course will be indoors and parts outdoors. You may want to bring a change of clothing